Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

A "minority" woman

It is amazing how many people who seemingly have responsible jobs, but are uninformed and/or blinded to the facts, can induce the state-run media to publish their drivel. The latest example is Britta Guerrero, CEO of the Sacramento Native American Health Center, who gave us three eight-inch columns in the Bee, grousing about pregnant inmates being moved about in shackles.

Obviously, pregnant women should never go to prison. Motherhood is the world's highest calling, and women should embark upon it only if they are financially and psychologically prepared. Once impregnated, it is child abuse to do anything to endanger the life of the mother or her child. Prison is high on the list of places she should never frequent. If a pregnant woman finds herself there, she has no doubt had several lapses in judgment, and is a threat to escape further responsibility. Thus, the shackles.

The 200 words allotted to my submitted letter to the editor addressed that subject. Unfortunately, at the end of her dissertation, Ms Guerrero played the "minority" card, and I didn't have any words left. Judging by her surname and the picture that accompanied the article, she appears to be Hispanic, Native American, mestiza, or some combination thereof. I, on the other hand, am Slavic-Germanic, and in California, I am in the minority.

At least two decades ago, the combination of Hispanics, Blacks, Asians and Pacific Islanders grew to exceed us Caucasians in number. Add the assault of atheists and homosexuals on my Christianity, and you can see my concern. However, please observe me carefully, and warn me if, as does Guerrero, I seem to be using my minority status as a crutch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home